From ever-expanding monitoring coverage, to Service cloning, to brand new REST API calls, the v.117 release of the LogicMonitor platform has a little something for everyone. Read on to learn about the v.117 enhancements we'll be rolling out through early April.
Announcements: If you happen to be monitoring AWS billing data based on deprecated AWS Detailed Billing reports, it's important that you update your configuration as soon as possible (as discussed below).
Please also note that if you're whitelisting LogicMonitor's public IP addresses, we have updated the list contained in this support article.
- Table widget hyperlink display. Similar to many other widget types, the Table widget now features hyperlinks that allow users to jump to other relevant areas of the LogicMonitor platform. Specifically, the text in the Table widget's "Name" column is now a hyperlink that opens the detail view (in a new browser tab) of the instance or resource whose name was clicked.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) monitoring updates:
- New credit specification property for AWS EC2 instances. Added a new property named system.aws.cpuCredits that indicates credit specification for AWS EC2 instances. You may find this useful in conjunction with the EC2 credits DataSource for identifying and monitoring instances (with an 'unlimited' specification) that are consuming surplus credits.
- Improvements to ELB Service Limits data collection. Our current ELB Service Limits DataSource monitors load balancer service limit usage at the account level. Additionally, we've now broken out listener limits and usage into a separate DataSource that monitors usage per load balancer.
- More intuitive Route 53 health check naming. Route 53 health checks configured to monitor a CloudWatch alarm or the status of another health check were not appropriately named in LogicMonitor because the platform assumed they were endpoint (i.e. HTTP) health checks when adding them into monitoring. The naming of these health check types has been improved.
- Retirement of billing data monitoring method. LogicMonitor's older method for monitoring AWS billing data, which is based on deprecated AWS Detailed Billing reports, has been retired. Data previously collected via this method will not be deleted, but no new data collection will occur. To ensure continuous data collection, please set up monitoring for your AWS billing data via LogicMonitor's newer method, which will continue to function and is based on AWS Cost and Usage reports. For more information on monitoring AWS billing data, see AWS Billing Monitoring - Cost & Usage Report.
- Azure monitoring updates:
- Azure VM backup status monitoring. VMs that are backed up will now be assigned a distinguishing property named system.azure.hasBackupProtectedItemResource, which will be used to apply a DataSource that monitors backup status, backup health, protection status, and time elapsed since last backup.
- Azure SQL Database elastic pool monitoring. Added support for discovering and monitoring Azure SQL Database elastic pools. You may find this useful for monitoring resources shared across databases that belong to a common elastic pool.
- Primary aggregation included in Poll Now response. The Azure primary aggregation has been added to the Poll Now response for Azure monitor data. You may find this useful for troubleshooting data collection, as well as identifying what aggregation methods are supported.
- Permission tests issue resolved. Azure permission tests for Azure MySQL and PostgreSQL database services were not working correctly. This has been corrected.
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) monitoring updates:
- Add Collectors under existing Collector group for Kubernetes monitoring. Users can now select an existing Collector group when adding a Kubernetes cluster into monitoring. When used, this new option adds Collectors under an existing Collector group. You may find this useful for minimizing permissions assigned to the API tokens used for Kubernetes monitoring because access can be restricted to a specific Collector group (whereas previously access to manage all Collector groups was required in order to create a new group).
LM Service Insight
- Service cloning. When cloning a Service, you have the option to only clone the Service, or to clone the Service and its aggregate metrics. The latter option modifies the AppliesTo script of the DataSources applied to the Service to match the cloned Service. You may find cloning useful if you want to aggregate the same metrics across different groups of devices/instances. (LM Service Insight is a premium add-on feature released in January that allows users to group together instances across one or more monitored resources into a logical "Service." See About LM Service Insight for more information.)
- Improved UI for managing Service metrics. New filters have been added that make it easier to aggregate metrics for Services that have large numbers of common DataSources, and therefore long lists of DataSources from which to choose metrics. Available from both the Select Service Metrics dialog (available when adding a new Service) and the Metrics tab (available when editing an existing Service), these filters include a DataSource search box for quickly finding a particular DataSource, as well as an Only show rows with selected datapoints option that, when checked, narrows the DataSources list to only those containing the selected metrics.
- Collector version retrieval. The ability to retrieve Collector versions via the API has been published. You may find this useful for programmatically determining if a more recent version of the Collector is available.
- LogicModule metadata retrieval. The ability to retrieve LogicModule metadata via the API has been published. You may find this useful for getting DataSource versions programmatically.
- AppliesTo function management. The ability to add, edit, and delete AppliesTo functions via the API has been published.
LogicModules that have been added or updated since the last release.
New Monitoring Coverage
- addCategory_NoPing - 1 PropertySource
- AWS EBS Burst Balance - 1 DataSource
- AWS VPN Tunnels - 1 DataSource
- Cisco Entity Sensors and Cisco Transceiver Sensors - 2 DataSources
- Note: Removed Cisco Nexus Temperature DataSource as it is replaced and extended by Cisco Entity Sensors
- GCP VPN Tunnels - 1 DataSource
- LogicMonitor Collector - 7 DataSources
- Microsoft Azure Application Insights - 1 DataSource
- Microsoft Azure IoT Hub - 1 DataSource
- Apache Tomcat JVM Status - 1 DataSource
- Fixed MBean attribute in OpenFile datapoint, along with various fixes/improvements to graphs
- Cisco IOS - 1 ConfigSource
- Added file descriptor reuse, preventing unnecessary Collector growth
- Dell PowerConnect Global Stats - 1 DataSource
- Corrected ##VALUE## token typo in alert message
- EMC XtremIO Cluster Performance - 1 DataSource
- Fixed collection script null value exception handling, along with various fixes to graphs
- Kubernetes Container / Pod / Node - 3 DataSources
- Removed CPU and memory requests to limit ratio alerts
- Kubernetes PingK8s and Ping - 2 DataSources
- Updated appliesTo script to address ping issues, particularly on hosts which do not respond to standard ping, along with graph and alert message improvements
- Kubernetes Service - 1 DataSource
- Fixed issue in collection script
- LogicMonitor Collector - 9 DataSources
- Minor fixes/updates to various datapoints and graphs
- Microsoft Azure Express Route Circuit - 1 DataSource
- Updated data point aggregation methods to AVERAGE
- Microsoft Azure SQLDatabase - 1 DataSource
- Updated connection_successful, connection_failed, and blocked_by_firewall datapoint aggregation methods to TOTAL
- Microsoft Lync Server Cluster Manager - 1 DataSource
- Fixed issue with the FailedReplicationOperations datapoint
- NetApp E-Series Chassis Status - 1 DataSource
- Fixed token in alert message
- Nimble HDD - 1 DataSource
- Fixed issue in collection script which wasn't properly closing SSH connections
- Nutanix Virtual Machines - 1 DataSource
- Added a note (in tech notes and alert message) regarding known VMware/Nutanix bug issue for VM memory utilization pinned at 100%
- PowerOverEthernet - 1 DataSource
- Fixed calculation for the PercentPowerUsed complex datapoint
- Ubiquiti UniFi Access Points - 1 DataSource
- Fixed compatibility issues with newer releases of Ubiquiti API and added new datapoints