Network scanning for additional devicesLast updated on 03 February, 2021
You can configure LogicMonitor collectors to periodically look for and automatically discover devices in your network.
Automated discovery of devices in your network involves 3 steps:
- Creating a NetScan definition
- Running a NetScan on a particular collector
- Scheduling the NetScan to run on a collector or collectors as needed.
When devices are discovered by a network scan, they can be named in one of the following ways:
- If the device responds to a defined SNMP community string, the device will be identified by the response from the sysName OID.
- If SNMP communication fails, reverse DNS resolution is attempted.
- If reverse DNS entries are not found, the IP address is used to name the device.
You can create, edit and run NetScan from Settings | NetScan. For instructions on setting up a NetScan definition, see this page.