LogicMonitor lets you manage modules in My Module Toolbox directly in your portal to keep your modules up-to-date. Managing your modules involves the following:
- Installing module updates—An update is a new version of a module. Installing an update overwrites an existing installed version. When you install your updated module, LogicMonitor lets you preserve certain values of the modules you have customized, enabling the values to persist after updating the module. You can view all updates in a side-by-side data comparison view prior to upgrading to view what values have changed between versions.
Recommendation: Install the most up-to-date module to take advantage of enhancements offered in the latest versions.
- Editing an existing module—You can edit modules using the module editor accessible from My Module Toolbox. You can edit, test, and save module information such as AppliesTo and Collector scripting.
Note: Note: The LogicModule editor is currently available for PropertySources, AppliesTo Function, and SNMP SysOID Maps. For other LogicModule types, you are directed to the Settings page.
- Deleting a module—You can permanently delete a module you no longer need from My Module Toolbox.
- Exporting a module—You can export a module’s configuration from your portal in JSON format. This allows you to edit the module offline or maintain an offline backup.
- Importing a module—You can import the JSON or XML file for a module directly to your portal.
When you import the file, LogicMonitor detects duplicate modules that are currently installed (for example, an installed module has the same configuration as the module you are attempting to import), LogicMonitor allows you to view the currently installed module and make modifications accordingly. LogicMonitor also finds potential conflicts (for example, an installed module has the same name as the imported module, but a different configuration) based on the XML or JSON file and provides you a side-by-side data comparison to resolve the conflicts or overwrite the currently installed module.
Module Preservation Options
When you install a module update, you can preserve certain values of the modules you have customized. The following table displays the options you can preserve:
|AppliesTo||Preserves the AppliesTo field|
|Active Discovery Filters||Preserves Active Discovery filters|
|Collection Interval||Preserves the collection interval|
|Discovery Interval||Preserves the Active Discovery interval|
|DisplayName||Preserves the DisplayName (also known as, “Resource Label”) of the LogicModule|
|Group||Preserves the Group under which the LogicModule is located|
|Alert Thresholds||Preserves alert thresholds on all datapoints. This includes trigger interval, clear interval, no data alert settings, custom message, and subject.|
Requirements for Managing a Module
To perform all management actions for a module, you need a user with a role that has “View” and “Manage” for the following permissions:
- My Module Toolbox (LogicModules)
To import a module to your portal, the module’s configuration must be the following file formats:
Installing a Module Update
- In LogicMonitor navigate to Modules > My Module Toolbox > and select Update from the Status column for the module you want to update.
A viewer displays a side-by-side data comparison of the currently installed version and the version you are upgrading to along with a Preservations panel.
- To preserve your changes for specific settings between module versions, toggle on the switch that applies to the setting you want to preserve using the switches in the Preservations panel.
Any values you choose to preserve are displayed in the data comparison viewer.
For more information, see Module Preservation Options.
- To display a third data comparison of the updated module based on any preservations, toggle on the Display three panel view switch.
A third panel displays the final, updated module configuration including any preservations.
- Select Final Review.
- Select Save to install the update.
Alternatively, you can choose to skip the install by selecting Skip Update.
The updated module installs in My Module Toolbox with an installed status icon. In addition, you can update a module from the module’s details panel. For more information, see Modules Overview.
Editing a Custom Module
- In the LogicMonitor navigation menu, select Modules.
- In My Module Toolbox, select a module (row) to display the module’s details panel.
- From the details panel for the selected module, select the Edit icon to open the module editor.
- Make your edits in the module editor. For more information, see the documentation for the specific module:
- When finished editing, select Save.
- On the Update Reason window, enter a History Note, and then select Save.
The History Note is saved in the module’s local history.
- On the Commit a Version window, enter the following information:
- Minor update or major update
- Version Note
- Make this version public
- Select Commit Version.
Deleting a Module
- From the LogicMonitor navigation menu, select Modules.
- In My Module Toolbox, select the module you want to delete.
- In the module editor pane at the bottom of the page, select the Delete icon.
- From Delete?, select Delete.
The module is permanently deleted from My Module Toolbox.
Exporting a Module
- Navigate to Modules > My Module Toolbox.
- Select the module you want to export, and then select Edit .
- From the Options menu of the module, select “Export”.
The module exports in JSON file format.
Importing a Module
- Navigate to Modules > My Module Toolbox.
- Select Add .
- Select Import from File.
- From Import from File, select Browse to choose a file.
- Select Save.
The module is imported to your portal and displays a message indicating success.