Network scanning for additional devices
You can configure LogicMonitor collectors to periodically look for and automatically discover devices in your network.
Automated discovery of devices in your network involves 3 steps:
- Creating a NetScan definition
- Running a NetScan on a particular collector
- Scheduling the NetScan to run on a collector or collectors as needed.
When devices are discovered by a network scan, they can be named in one of the following ways:
- If the device responds to a defined SNMP community string, the device will be identified by the response from the sysName OID.
- If SNMP communication fails, reverse DNS resolution is attempted.
- If reverse DNS entries are not found, the IP address is used to name the device.
You can create, edit and run NetScan from Settings | NetScan. For instructions on setting up a NetScan definition, see this page.