Creating and Managing Reports
Introduction to Reports
LogicMonitor has a large number of built-in reports that you can use to review key information for alerts; monitored data; device, website, and cloud resource configurations; dashboards; and user accounts and roles. Alert reports are particularly popular because they are a less disruptive way of monitoring non-critical issues as compared to email, text, or voice alert notifications.
To create a report:
- Select Reports | Add | Report.
- Scroll through the Start a new report dialog to select the type of report you'd like to create. There are more than 15 types of reports available; to determine the best type of report for your purpose, see Which report should I use?.
- Configure the settings that are universal to all report types. These include:
- Title. Enter the name of your new report. Report names cannot include the operators and comparison functions listed on this page.
- Description. Enter a description for your new report.
- Group. From the Group field's dropdown menu, select the folder, if any, you'd like to store your report in. For more information on report groups, see Creating a Report Group.
- Format. Select the report's output format: HTML, CSV< or PDF.
Generate this report on a schedule. Select the Generate this report on a schedule checkbox to enable recurring generation and emailing of the report. For more information on scheduling reports, see Scheduling a Report for Auto-Delivery.
Note: When the size of the report exceeds 20 Mbytes, the email attachment delivered will be in a compressed gzip (.gz) file format. Recipients will need to uncompress these attachments. This can be done using a tool such as WinZip, 7-Zip, or gunzip if uncompression is not automatic with their email program / operating system.
Note: Large Report Checking: a configured maximum value of DataSource instances can also require report delivery. If this maximum value is exceeded, a text box prompt will appear for the user to enter email addresses for report delivery, to avoid display delay rather than attempting report viewing.
Note: There are output size limits for LogicMonitor's built-in reports. These limits vary per report based on how complex the query is on the backend, but are generally quite liberal. For example, the Resource Metric Trends report and the Interface Bandwidth report support outputs for up to 5,000 instances. You will receive a warning if the resources or groups included in your report's parameters should exceed maximum size.
Using the Reports Page
As labeled in the previous screenshot, you can perform the following functions from the Reports page:
- Create reports and report groups
- Edit a report
- Run a report
- Delete a report
- Filter and sort displayed reports
- Choose a tile or lists reports view
Once a report is up and running, you'll be able to view its output history from the Reports page. Available from the list view, click the number displayed in the "Generated Reports" column. Upon clicking the number, which represents all iterations of the report generated in the last 30 days, a dropdown table appears allowing you to view, share the URL, or delete previously-generated reports.