The content of alert notification messages is defined by alert message templates. By default, alert notifications will be formatted based on the global alert message templates in the Settings | Message Templates | Alert Templates section of your account. These global templates can be overriden for a particular datapoint, eventsource or batchjob, by defining an alert template for that item. Global templates are only used when an alert template is not defined for an item.
Note: Any timestamps provided in alert notification messages correspond to the time zone configured globally for the portal (Settings | Account Information | Portal Settings). This is in contrast to viewing alerts from within the LogicMonitor UI, where alerts are timestamped according to the user's configured time zone (assuming one has been set for the user and that it is the current active display time zone, as discussed in Users).
In general, there are six templates that exist for each type of alert, two for each contact method- one for active alert messages and one for cleared alert messages. The contact method specified for a recipient in the escalation chain an alert is routed to determines which template is used for an alert type.
Selecting the icon for the contact method for a particular type of alert will display two templates, one for the alert notification and one for the alert clear notification:
Editing a global template
Select the manage gear icon to edit a global template. Keep in mind that this applies globally to all notifications (unless overridden at the datapoint, eventsource or batchjob level):
All standard DataSource, EventSource, JobMonitor, and website tokens can be used in alert message templates.
Adding custom templates to datapoints, eventsources and batchjobs
Global templates can be overriden for a particular datapoint, eventsource or batchjob by defining an alert template for that item. This can be useful if you'd like a custom template for just a handful of datapoints. Follow the appropriate instructions below to add custom templates:
Datapoint Alert Templates
To set a custom template for a particular datapoint:
- Navigate to the datasource definition that contains the datapoint
- Select the manage gear icon for the datapoint
- Set the Alert message field to 'Customized' for the datapoint
- Enter the desired subject and description for the custom message (all standard datasource tokens can be used in alert message templates)
Eventsource Alert Templates
To set a custom alert template for a particular eventsource:
- Navigate to the eventsource definition
- In the Alert Settings section, define an alert subject and alert message to override the global message template (all standard EventSource tokens can be used in alert message templates)
Batchjob Alert Templates
To set a custom alert template for a particular batchjob:
- Navigate to the batchjob definition
- In the Alert Template section, define an alert subject and alert message to override the global message template (all standard batchjob tokens can be used in alert message templates)